Saturday, April 8, 2017

Pepsi & Kendall Jenner: Truth to Power in Advertising

Pepsi & Kendall Jenner: Truth to Power in Advertising
By Jordan Owen
(C)2017


A couple of hours ago I was walking down the sidewalk on my way home from the Goodyear Tire place.  It was a warm spring day and the only thought on my carefree mind was how in the holy fuck I was going to come up with an extra $1500 to fix my transmission. Predictably, the calm state of zen that I’d found was interrupted once I got home and fired up the ol’ Bing News machine.  I had already spent the previous night adjusting to the knowledge that our country was now teetering precariously on the brink of Defcon 2 with only a Twitter crazed orange howler monkey to guide us onward. He’ll get that pee tape back even if it means our total nuclear annihilation.

Surely in the midst of all this widespread uncertainty the left could focus its attention on rallying the support of Trump’s newfound legion of defectors from the right rather than getting up in arms about some inane garbage, yes? Of course not- the latest outrage is over a culturally insensitive Pepsi commercial where Kendall Jennner, wooed by a grinning young hippie stud that for some unexplained reason brought a cello to a protest march, breaks free from her rigorous day job of holding still in expensive clothes and goes storming out into the crowd to join the protest where she single handedly mends ties between the police and the mob of protestors by offering one of the blue boys a Pepsi.

The commercial is vacuous and silly to be sure but the good folks over at Squatty Potty already put the good taste in advertising bar at an all time low with their commercial showing young children eating rainbow colored ice cream from a unicorn’s ass so it seems like This would be a fairly easy row to hoe.  Nevertheless, outrage has prevailed and I can’t say I don’t understand where much of it is coming from.  The disagreement is not the what but the why.
//
What we have to remember about advertising is that it is a medium specifically designed to cut to the core of a target demographic and hold up a magic mirror that shows the true face of the intended demographic augmented only by the presence of the product.  And sometimes that mirror image isn’t pretty.  So, to the younger generation that’s up in arms about this advertisement, stop and look at what it’s showing you and realize that you’re staring into a mirror.  We now live in an era where college activism is considered some kind of social rite of passage like going to the prom.  The capitalist machine you claim to be fighting against was more than happy to absorb and pander to your demographic and why wouldn’t it? You’re so completely wrapped up in your pampered push for the revolution that you think driving a Prius and reading blogosphere news outlets bankrolled on the same advertising dime that pays for those mainstream outlets your college professor slash beanie seamstress taught you not to trust is somehow rebellious.  Pepsi could not have been more accurate in their portrayal of the millennial protest generation: an affluent white bimbo tosses her wig to her black underling and goes prancing out into the streets to join a fellow mob of enraged millennials and stands up to the man by offering them a bottled and branded consumer product. That could not be a more accurate presentation of the gauged earring 500 gendered snowflake generation if it was wearing plaid.  Hell- watching the thing got that whole “this is my fight song take back the night song” thing stuck in my head and that wasn’t even the song they used in the commercial.

But the most accurate element of the commercial is its vagueness. This isn’t an angry protest mob that’s about anything. They’re just protesting. Period. No demands to be met, no issues on the table, they’re just protesting.  And when your demographic is so transparently obvious that it doesn’t even require a cause to be accurately portrayed, you know that it’s time to step up and own the fact that while this was a heinous caricature of public protest it was not the advertising department at Pepsi that made it that way.

If you don’t like what you see in that commercial stop and look at yourself and realize that you need to get a soul.  We all have advertisers trying to appeal to our demographic and maybe, just maybe, you need to go find a different demographic.  Otherwise, the truth hurts- buy a helmet.

4 comments:

  1. Don’t think of anything else just contact Dr Abalaka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to conceive due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the Priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Dr Abalaka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Dr on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
    Fibroid
    High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
    Diabetes
    Infection, regular body pains
    Blockage from the fallopian Tube
    Cyst from the ovaries
    Unpleasant smell from the virginal
    Irregular menstruation
    Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
    Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
    Infertility for easy Conception.......
    Erectile dysfunction treatment
    Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
    Get your ex back
    Happiness in relationship
    Command respect in the society
    Enlarge your Penis/breast with no side effect
    Impotent solution
    Obesity solution
    Romanticism solutions
    Cancer of the blood
    Sickle cell
    Epilepsy
    Lupus disease
    Insomnia
    Parkinson disease
    General consultation
    Those are the things he does, You can simply contact the spiritualist Dr Abalaka on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. THERE IS A CURE TO SICKLE CELL ANEMIA, AM A LIVING TESTIMONY.

    I write to you with great joy in my heart how Dr Alegbe John turned my life around. I was born a sickle cell patient through the gene- type of my parents and became a carrier which led to immense crises all through my growing up years. This particular ailment was called rheumatism, the pain of the bone which I was told was caused by difficult circulation of blood in the vein axis.

    Growing up was like hell because apart from the pain and the fear of it, I also lived in bondage for years before Dr Alegbe intervention.

    I was restricted from doing what my mates could do, there was a lot of don’t touch, don’t eat, don’t go, don’t wear by the doctor and I lived all through this period on drugs. I was made to know that without this pill, my life will would finally come to an end. It was total bondage.

    During this period of pain, I would cry, shout, throw myself to the ground, destroy things I could find around me just because of restlessness the pain caused. My Dad got the contact of Dr Alegbe from the internet and he emailed him told him about me and made purchase from his product. I too the medication for one month and he always call to know how am feeling, that was how i was cured completely. any one can reach him On his gmail address at dralegbe@gmail.com

    I stopped taking my drugs because Dr Alegbe John has made me completely cured, I no longer feel pain neither do I remember how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gina, I saw your comment about Dr. Onokun medication concerning Fibroid sometime ago and you were right, I tried it and it worked like magic for me. It was like hell living with FIBROID all this years until now, no more pains, bleeding and no miscarriage and I would've come with my testimony before now but I have to wait for a couple of months to see if it will regrow again but there's still no sign of fibroid, I also went to the hospital for test and still i was tested negative. All thanks to Dr. onokun  and to you too Gina. And for anyone out there who wish to try can reach the doctor through  Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349064844957  

    ReplyDelete